Monday, March 2, 2015

There Needs To Be a Filter...

If I were a technology genius, I would create some sort of filter for people who are struggling with infertility or the loss of a baby.  In my dream world, your doctor would alert the powers that be to install this filter on your computer.  It would filter out the following:

1.  Any sort of pregnancy announcement on Facebook.

While I'm always happy for any friends that are lucky enough to get pregnant, I don't want to hear them complaining about how they are suffering from heartburn as a result of pregnancy.  I know that I could simply not look on Facebook, but then I wouldn't know what was going on in the world.  

2.  Ads for diapers, strollers, etc.  

I do not need these items.  Constantly reminding me I don't need these items is not fun.  

3.  Any and all emails offering free baby things.

Thanks for telling me about the free baby sling I could get after paying for shipping and handling.  Thanks for not unsubscribing my email address, even though I have done so multiple times.  

4.  Anything baby-related on Pinterest.

I adore Pinterest, being the craft/diy/recipe junkie that I am, but seeing all those cute nursery decor ideas are like little stabs in my heart every time I see them.  Again, I know I could simply ignore Pinterest, but then Adam would starve because I wouldn't know what to cook him for dinner.  

5.  All the pregnancy and baby announcements on the magazine covers in the checkout aisle of the grocery store.  

I realize half of what's in the magazines aren't true, but even when magazines are lying they make me feel bad.  

And since I'm in my dream world, it would also:

1.  Shield me from seeing babies on especially rough days.  Most days I'm just fine seeing and even holding babies.  But every once in awhile, I have a bad day and want to avoid babies at all costs.  I would be able to go to Target and Hobby Lobby without seeing hoards of babies and pregnant ladies.  

2.  Stop Enfamil from sending me samples of formula.  

When I made my first purchase at Motherhood Maternity, I signed up for some kind of mailing/emailing list.  Along with a ridiculous amount of emails, I also got stuff in the mail.  I remember the first Enfamil sample I got.  I was all excited to find a box in my mailbox because who doesn't love receiving packages in the mail?  Then I opened it and found formula samples.  I burst into tears right there in front of the mailbox.  Hopefully my neighbors didn't see me bawling like a lunatic.  I promptly threw away the samples, even though I probably could have given them to someone or donated them.  It just felt better to slam the trash can lid over them.  

3.  Somehow stop people from talking about pregnancy and babies when I get close to them.

Again, most of the time I can handle conversations about pregnancy and babies, but sometimes I can't.  And in those moments, I would love if these conversations could magically change topic when I'm around on a bad day.  

If only I were a tech-savvy magician...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts!