Wednesday, March 18, 2015

My Sugar & Flour Have a New Home

Adam and I have been trying to cut down the amount of plastic in our kitchen.  We use glass containers to store our leftovers.  We use glass water bottles.  And I try to buy food in glass jars instead of plastic or aluminum. Don't get me wrong, we still have lots of plastic in our kitchen.  But we're trying to cut down where we can.  

My flour, sugar and powdered sugar used to live in these cute red aluminum and plastic tins shown below:

I love how they looked, but decided it wasn't the best way to store my baking essentials.  While watching Martha Bakes on PBS (Yes, I watch PBS because I don't have cable.) I noticed she had glass jars to store her flour and sugar.  If that's how Martha does it, it must be right.  

So I went on a little shopping spree and gathered some supplies:


-Two Glass Jars from Walmart (I'm not proud of shopping at Walmart, but they sure do have unbeatable prices.)
-Vinyl Stickers (These aren't the exact stickers I got, but they're similar.)

First, I washed and dried the glass jars.  You just never know what has touched the things you buy at the store.  (I decided to only get two jars, one for flour and one for sugar.  I rarely used the powdered sugar, so I just put that back in my pantry.)    

Then, I used the chalk marker to put an outline around the sticker and label the contents of each jar.  Like so:


After that, I just stuck those vinyl stickers on the jars.  Make sure to wait until the chalk marker dries before you try to stick them on the jars. Otherwise it might smear and then you'd have to start all over.  

Here are the finished products.  Pretty cute, if I do say so myself. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts!