Thursday, March 26, 2015

Perpetual Calendar

I decided to stop making stupid New Year's Resolutions that I wouldn't stick to (like losing weight and exercising more) and make ones that would be fun to follow.  One of my resolutions this year was to make and keep up with a perpetual calendar.  A perpetual calendar is a calendar that is organized with a page for each day of the year.  You write down one event that happened on that day.  You do this for a year, and then repeat the process in future years.  I thought this would be a fun way to reflect on each day and be able to look back over the years on all the things I've done.

This was such an easy project and would be easy for you to recreate, so I thought I would share how I made it.    

I started by getting 5x7 index cards and cutting them in half.  You'll need at least 183 cards, but you'll want to have some extras on hand for all the stamping mistakes you'll probably make.  Using a date stamp is surprisingly tricky.   


Then I used a date stamp that I got at Hobby Lobby to stamp each day's date on a separate card.  I used my 40% off coupon on this item.  




Next I cut some cute cardstock to separate each month's cards.  You'll want to cut it so the width is the same as the index cards, but the height is a bit taller so you'll be able to see it when it's all put together.



The last thing you'll need to do is find a container to hold your calendar.  I walked around Hobby Lobby with an index card that had been cut in half and stuffed it in various containers to see how it would fit.  I ended up in the section with the vases and planters.  I found this container that was the perfect size.  It was half off so it wasn't that expensive either.    



I keep my calendar on my dresser and walk by it as I'm getting into bed each night.  On my way, I stop and jot down one memorable thing from that day.  Sometimes it's a big event and sometimes it's something small.  Regardless, it will be fun to look back on in the future.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts!