Monday, April 6, 2015

My Table Runner Gets a Friend

The new table runner I made was getting a bit lonely.  It needed a friend.  



So with the help of my handy husband, we made a centerpiece.  I looked to my good friend Pinterest to give me some inspiration.  I used this tutorial as my inspiration.  I love the rustic look of the crate and the homey feel of flowers in mason jars.  

I wanted 5 mason jars to fit inside my crate, so my husband whipped up a plan:  



Adam loves lumber.  He scours the messed-up wood bin (which I am told is called "cull lumber") at Home Depot and is always bringing home some piece of wood or another.  So, lucky for me, all I had to do was walk down to the basement and find a piece of cedar that would work for the project.  Adam was kind enough to cut the pieces for me.  I probably would have cut off some fingers had I tried.  


Then he nailed all the pieces together to create a crate.  He had a hard time accepting the rustic nature of the crate.  He wanted to hide the edge of the wood, make mitered corners and glue it together so you wouldn't see the nails.  I had to keep reminding him it is supposed to look like you just found some wood and nailed it together.



Next I put in the mason jars.  I kept the lids on, but took out the top circle thingy so there would be a place for flowers.  


Finally I added some $5 flowers from HyVee.  I don't plan to always have fresh flowers in our centerpiece.  I can use some branches from flowering trees or even faux flowers.  Candles would work, as well.  


I think it turned out pretty swell, if I don't say so myself.  And my table runner is no longer lonely.    


No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts!