Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Confessions of a Dog Lover

Before Jazzy joined my family, I just didn't understand why some people did what they did in regards to their dogs.  I had a dog as a child, but having a dog as a child and having a dog as an adult are different.  

I have found myself partaking in some embarrassing behavior since getting Jazzy.  I will now embarrass myself further by sharing this behavior with you:

1.  Adam and I get up pretty early to get ready for work.  Jazzy would prefer to sleep in later than us, so she usually stays in one of her two beds after Adam and I get up.  The other day, I realized I still needed to put on some earrings before leaving for work.  Jazzy was still sleeping in her bed.  I didn't want to disturb her, so I used my cell phone as a flashlight and dug around my jewelry drawer until I found some earrings.  About that time, I realized I was standing in the dark just so Jazzy wouldn't be bothered.  And then I realized that I was a little bit crazy.  



2.  I have taken Jazzy for a walk each day since we've gotten her, with two exceptions.  Once was the day she had her teeth cleaned.  They had to put her under and when I picked her up from the vet she was still drowsy from the anesthesia.  She was stumbling around like a drunk and couldn't have made it on our normal walk.  The other time was the time I was out of town for the weekend.  Other than those times, we've gone on a walk together. Even if it was freezing or snowing or raining.  While on our walks, I like to talk to Jazzy.  She likes it when I talk to her, at least that's what she tells me.  I say things like: "Do you see the bunny across the street?", "Which way would you like to go today?" or "Why do you keep walking in front of me?  I am going to accidentally squash you!".  I didn't really think anything about this until I looked up from one of our meaningful conversations to see an old man looking at me strangely from his driveway.  Oops.  I guess it is a bit crazy to have long, one-sided conversations with your dog outside of your home.  


3.  Prior to having Jazzy in our lives, I was always a bit perplexed when I saw dogs at Home Depot.  I understood bringing your dog shopping with you at Pet Smart, but Home Depot?  Is your dog building a deck?  I think I had even told Adam how ridiculous I thought this was at one point.  Enter Jazzy.  Now when we go to Home Depot (which is a lot) we take Jazzy with us.  She loves it! Some of the workers even give her dog treats, which would be the reason why Jazzy loves it so much.  I'm sure we annoy some people and make others roll their eyes.  But Jazzy wants to go.  And whatever Jazzy wants, Jazzy gets. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts!